Church Farm barn is a conversion of two grade II listed derelict barns in a Suffolk village into a 5 bedroom home involving planning and listed building consent, archaeological surveys and protected species surveys. This complicated scheme involved the total renovation of a timber frame barn dating from 1700 and a clay lump barn from the 1800’s. Traditional materials such as lime render, lime mortar and lime wash paint along with oak framing and clay lump repair were combined with super efficient insulation, an air source heat pump and underfloor heating to provide a contemporary yet sympathetic conversion. Existing walls both internally and externally were maintained in place and the main barn was converted into one large open space with a double sided fireplace dividing kitchen and living rooms whilst the existing spaces of the clay lump barn were utilised for bedrooms. The main barn openings were replaced with glazing and sliding folding screens to fully open up these entrances as was the case when used for agriculture. The open plan layout maintains the feel and space of the original agricultural building.
All the structure was maintained and exposed to view to keep the agricultural feel and large open space of the old barn.
The en suite is inserted into the bedroom and all original beams are kept in place and barn roof left exposed.
The old milking shed was converted to a bedroom with en suite. All the existing structure was cleaned by hand and original openings reused for windows and doors.
A modern open plan dining kitchen was created under the new bedroom mezzanine
A double sided fireplace and staircase was inserted to divide dining and living. The view showing the entire length of the listed barn structure was maintained.
All existing oak knees were left exposed with oak worktops installed to the kitchen to match the main barn oak structure. The kitchen range and fridge freezer were designed into the structure.
The flint and brick walls were repaired with the frame and then highly insulated. All existing tiles were carefully removed and then reinstalled.
The main barn openings were kept and framed in oak with new glazing to flood the barn with light. The clay lump barn and timber barn are connected with a white rendered link
The barn is painted black as is common in Suffolk.
A small and cosy winter snug was created in the link area with views into the main barn space and a door onto the garden. This snug has a small woodburner for winter use.
A new bathroom was inserted in the old potato store complete with wet room shower and freestanding bath. All existing walls throughout had to be kept due to the building being listed.
The derelict barn was in a state of disrepair before works started.